Saturday, June 28, 2008

Jane Austen

I've just finished watching 'Becoming Jane' - the movie apparently about Jane Austen's life. I am also currently attempting to read two well-known books about the famous author. So, I am not sure how accurate the movie is regarding her life as I've not reached her adult life as of yet. But, the movie was excellent. I truly adore Ms. Austen's works having read them all. I say this not in the sense of those who think it fashionable to read Jane Austen, but from one who loves 19th Century literature. Her novels may always have happy endings, but they are an insight, none-the-less, into and of the social world of the 19th C.

I've tried many times to get a book group together made up of people who enjoy 19th C works, but alas, with no luck. One time I was close, but people today neither enjoy longer works of literature (preferring to read what Oprah or other pop-culture stars remark as good...and who are often wrong!) or anything with any sort of thought. Too bad really. If people were more well-read in the classics, they would understand how the world has not changed (social, political, wars, famine, greed, love, etc), and we continue to fall prey to repeating history. Ironic and comical all at the same time. C'est la vie.

Highly recommend 'Becoming Jane' - both the story and the music are beautiful!

No comments: